- My Domains are all registered with Dreamhost.com
- When it comes to hosting your blog you can host through a third party or go the self-hosted route. After taking the time to learn about setting up a self-hosted website, I’d highly recommend going the self hosted route if you know blogging is something that you want to do fulltime. Here is my recommended hosting site:
- Dreamhost (Affiliate Link) I use shared hosting
- Remember when choosing your domain name choose something fun, memorable, and something that describes your content. Or keep it simple with just your name!
Content is king! before officially launching your blog have at least 10 post pre-written and published and 10 post scheduled to be published. This is so that your blog does not look dry. To write the best content, start by defining your niche. I recommend that most people, if you’re like me and write about a lot of things, start a lifestyle blog. Many people may tell you that you have to have a very specific niche, but it’s not true. Sometimes niching down too much limits your content and leaves many creators feeling stuck.
What you need (The basics):
Most people who start a blog use pictures. We all want those gorgeous Instagram and Pinterest worthy pictures but let’s face it, we all cant dish out thousands of dollars for a camera and other tech. I have compiled a list of my everyday tech and other items I use for running my business/blog and the free alternatives you can use to get started:
Photos and writing:
- Iphone or whatever phone you have (When I want a quick picture and do not feel like taking out my camera, I use my phone which is 98% of the time).
- Have a slightly larger budget? Samsung DV150F camera (You can find this camera less than $100 on ebay) it has a front view finder, takes great photos and video. I also use it for filming.
- Tripod w/ remote from amazon or prop with items around the house.
- Selfie ring light (Space Saver) (Get it here: https://amzn.to/2LI7VCt) or use natural light.
- WD external hard drive for storing blog posts, photos, video etc (Get it here: https://amzn.to/312uOEn) or save in google drive for FREE.
- Laptop for writing, borrow a laptop or write directly from your phone. I have a basic Asus laptop.
- Friends and family are great to help snap your photos
- Create dedicated accounts for your blog. This is where you will interact with your readers and keep them up to date with your content. Overtime this may become your main personal type account especially if you’re running a more personal blog such as a lifestyle blog.
- Make it a point to promote a piece of your content each day especially in the beginning when no one knows who you are. Follow blogging hashtags, interact with other bloggers and share their content. Building relationships and community is key for lasting in the blogging world.
- While there are other aspects of running a blog which I will cover in more posts to come, these are the basics to get your blog established and content creation started without breaking the bank. I hope you found these tips and products useful. This post contains affiliate links to products mentioned that I have already purchased with my own money.